Good, high-quality tools are the key to successful gardening. It is therefore essential to invest in very good tools. You want to start in gardening and you do not know what to buy and what not to buy; here is a little guide, which we have prepared for you. You will learn the essential tools to garden well so as not to spend more than you need.
Be aware that when purchasing your tools, it is a good idea to test them, especially the handles, to see if you feel comfortable holding them by your hands.
Here, then, is the list of essential tools for tinkering in your garden , grouped according to the tasks you will have to perform:
- A lawn tractor if you have lawn, to regularly level the mowing.
- A zero-turn mower if you have a large lawn to mow, it is faster, more efficient and mows with more precision.
- a tiller or tiller to plow the soil when the soil is not ready for planting.
- a generator will can be useful to power your devices in the garden, especially larger gardens.
- You will have to plant and garden in a vegetable garden you will need these tools:
Planting and sowing work. You will need :
- A spade to turn over or dig the soil, or to cut the edges
- a planter shovel and a transplanter for transplanting plants that have bare roots and for planting vegetables in clods
- a sieve to cover your seedlings with fine soil, after sieving
- a line to delimit and sow seeds in a row
- a fork that helps prepare the soil for future sowing and planting
Maintenance work. Since it is important to maintain your garden well, you will need:
- a watering can and / or a garden hose . as their names indicate, you will use them to water your plants
- a pruner useful for trimming and cutting any overhanging leaves or stems
- a wheelbarrow , very practical to transport your tools and others, without much effort
- pairs of gloves of excellent quality, according to the different gardening activities, to avoid getting dirty and coming into contact with germs and toxic products.
WHY AND HOW TO CLEAN YOUR GARDENING TOOLS?
maintain garden tools
The garden is a place that you can arrange at home to cultivate selected domesticated plants or even fruits and vegetables that you love. The tools used for gardening, especially when they are of very good quality, are an investment. It is therefore essential to always maintain them by cleaning them after use, so that your investment is always fruitful.
Why always clean your gardening tools?
Indeed, manual and regular cleaning will prevent your tools from dulling and being attacked by rust. It will also prevent the spread of certain microbes and bacteria that can easily adhere to tools. You will have very easy to use and resistant tools.
How to clean them then?
To properly clean your tools, you need the following equipment:
- A stiff brush,
- Methylated spirits,
- A sharpening stone,
- Fine sandpaper,
- Linseed oil,
- A garden hose,
- Universal grease,
- A cloth and soap.
The cleaning methods depend on the function of the tool and the use you make of it.
The tools that work the earth. These are the shovel, the rake, the hoes … which move the earth. In order to remove all the soil that gets lodged in the smallest of these tools, you must scrub them properly using the brush and straw to scrape off any rust. Then lightly fertilize, rinse and then use the cloth to wipe.
Cutting tools. These include shears, pruning shears, a pruning knife … disassemble them to facilitate cleaning. Soak the rag with methylated spirits and then wipe the blades to remove the persistent residue, which is stuck to it. Soapy water is also effective in disinfecting. This will also prevent the proliferation of microbes and bacteria. You can finally sharpen and fatten them to keep their resistance and efficiency.
Finally you will just have to store your tools properly cleaned in a dry place; so that all your effort is not in vain. Ideally use dedicated garden tool storage or an area of your garage.
SOME TIPS FOR LANDSCAPING YOUR GARDEN YOURSELF
Design your garden
Did you know ? The majority of people refuse to have a small garden at home, simply because they believe they are unable to maintain it or because they do not know how to create one. It is true that we are often divided between work, shopping, caring for children and others but a small garden at the back of your house, would not hurt. I propose to give you a few tips for landscaping your garden. They are easy to apply. See for yourself
First thing to know: there is nothing more beautiful than having a mini garden at home, a corner that you arrange yourself, a way also to occupy yourself when you have nothing to do. Setting up a garden is easy. You just need:
A space: find just a few 2 or 3 square meters in front of or behind the house
Tools: a small hoe, pruning shears, a watering can, a leaf broom, a lawn broom, a flower broom, a compost aerator. Just take what you think is most useful and work out the rest.
Water nearby or in the house: this is important, you will undoubtedly need it.
- Lighting: plants need light. This is necessary to carry out their photosynthetic activity.
- Shade: a little shade nearby would not hurt. Installing the garden near a few trees would not hurt.
- Plants: Choose the plants that suit you: you have the choice between seasonal flowering plants, climbing plants, Mediterranean plants, trees, fruit shrubs, grasses etc. a lot of plant species are sold online and you won’t have to worry about that.
- Amendment: to speed up the development of plants, fertilizers or compost could be useful.
If you have these items, your garden is almost ready. You just need to:
- arrange space
- Water and stir the soil to make it fairly soft and tender.
- Fertilize the soil by adding fertilizers
- Organize and structure your garden according to plant categories
Remember, some seeds follow a specific mode of sowing.
MAINTAINING YOUR GARDEN WELL: SOME EASY TIPS TO APPLY
Many people have given up on the idea of having a garden at home, just because they don’t see themselves up to the task of landscaping it, much less maintaining it. In a recent article, I told you how to set up a small garden in your home, the tools and equipment you need. Assuming now that you already have a garden. The big problem now is how to manage your time to maintain it well? How to maintain it to keep your leaves very green, your flowers always in good shape. It is very easy to get there. I give you some recommendations
GET USED TO IT!
To make sure that gardening is not a difficult task for you, make a habit of doing it. It will become a pleasure for you. As someone said, do a job that you are passionate about and you won’t work a day in your life.
Use a calendar if necessary, to organize your garden tasks, for the year, the semester or the quarter.
Watering is one of the most demanding tasks in the maintenance of your garden. To make it easy for you.
- Favor plants that support dry weather, sober plants: sagebrush, nasturtium, perennial aromatic plants, etc.
- Make a reserve of water in small bowls at the foot of each plant
- Do not water in full sun
- Collect rainwater – mainly use a watering can rather than hosepipe
- it is necessary to mulch the soil, to reduce or limit the work of weedin
- do not leave too much free space in the garden
FOR THE MAINTENANCE OF THE HEDGE
- Generally between March and August, the birds make their nest; it is not necessary to cut the hedge in this period.
- Do not trim off excess hedges, as no one else does
FAVOR THE NATURAL GARDEN
- It is easier to maintain